Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 12:48 PM

Haircuts?

I will have so many questions "?" being that now I have a rottie, and I want to make sure that I give her the utmost best possible care, I will keep asking away. (Would you beleive that I found a "how to care for your rottweiler" book in my papers drawer that i purchased in grade school? That was a really long time ago, but always......... Do any of you take your rottie to get a haircut? I know they generally have short fur, but maybe the hair on the back could be trimmed? (but i could see someone looking at me funny bringing in a rott to get a haircut if its just not something you need to do.)

Last edited by Vista; 10-27-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:49 PM

Re: Haircuts?

I've never taken mine to get haircuts or shaves. My female has curly ears and longer hair in general than my male. I will sometimes trim the hair on top of her paws or her ears, but that's about it. A good brushing goes a long way with both of mine.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:53 PM

Nope, no cuts for mine. Just good brushings. Rommel was a long hair Rottie so did have to cut behind his ears sometimes.
King, my wonderful GS, waiting at the bridge, 14 yo

Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 PM

i was actually thinking about doing the same to Dani as it's very hot in florida but she's always under a/c house but the floor get very cold and she loves it

Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Haircuts?

No...no need for haircuts for this breed. This is an easy grooming breed...a couple of baths a year, a brush out a couple of times per week...and clip nails and brush teeth and check ears once a week.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 10-27-2008, 02:09 PM

Well I just got her from the shelter, so for sure she needs a bath soon, so I will stick with the advice, and just groom and seldom bathe. Oh and those teeth. Ive never brushed a dogs teeth before, so I will read up on that one.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM

Really! i know a few people who actually cuts their dogs hair due to the shedding it actually minimizes the shedding procedure

Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Valued Member

Keep in mind that a dog's fur provides insulation - it helps keep them warm in winter and cool in summer. Shaving a dog in the summer can actually be a big mistake.

As far as Rottweilers go, they're typically a "no professional grooming" breed, which is one reason I like them. A good brushing (and the occasional bath) is all they need, coat-wise. The long-haired Rottweilers require a bit more attention, of course.

Pieka, NW2, CD-C, RL2, RL1X, RN, BH, CGC
Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI
Sofia, CGC., TDI, TT, HIC, (1997-2008)

Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss7373 View Post
Keep in mind that a dog's fur provides insulation - it helps keep them warm in winter and cool in summer. Shaving a dog in the summer can actually be a big mistake.

As far as Rottweilers go, they're typically a "no professional grooming" breed, which is one reason I like them. A good brushing (and the occasional bath) is all they need, coat-wise. The long-haired Rottweilers require a bit more attention, of course.
but what do i do about the shedding ? i mean i clean alot just to keep my house clean and hairless she sheds alot i just thought its because shes a pup and shedding her puppy hair... could that be the reason i see so much hair around the house?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Valued Member

Cutting doesn't do anything to shedding other than make the shed hairs shorter, your friends are mistaken (although professional grooming also includes a bath and thorough brushing usually, which does get rid of the loose hair very effectively). You reduce shedding by brushing regularly and feeding a good-quality food, cutting the hair does not have any effect on how quickly each hair is shed. Puppies shed a lot when they are losing their puppy coats.

You cannot have a spotless, perfect house if you have pets, pets shed, pets have accidents, pets chew things they shouldn't. Believe me, I know!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey View Post
You cannot have a spotless, perfect house if you have pets, pets shed, pets have accidents, pets chew things they shouldn't. Believe me, I know!
Isn't that the truth! I don't think I've ever lived hair free! We've always had dogs and they ALL shed. I find it in the oddest places. Unless you have one of those shedless dogs or hairless, be ready for fur to be all over. Part of life with a dog.
King, my wonderful GS, waiting at the bridge, 14 yo

Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey View Post
You cannot have a spotless, perfect house if you have pets, pets shed,
(its true i agree with you in that one)

pets have accidents, pets chew things they shouldn't. Believe me, I know!
(thats also true but Dina never had an accident shes always wanted tro eliminate outside, since she was 8weeks old never wanted to eliminate indoors even when the vet told me about the risk of Parvo, im okay in dat dept..)

Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDina View Post
Really! i know a few people who actually cuts their dogs hair due to the shedding it actually minimizes the shedding procedure
Yes, you can shave a rottweiler...you can shave anything. I am a groomer and I have shaved rotties, labs, pugs, even beagles . Yes it DRASTICALLY cuts down on the shedding. But I would NEVER shave my rottie . I stick with the furminator.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Haircuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDina View Post
but what do i do about the shedding ? i mean i clean alot just to keep my house clean and hairless she sheds alot i just thought its because shes a pup and shedding her puppy hair... could that be the reason i see so much hair around the house?
All dogs shed. Get your dog on a better food and it will shed less. I board dogs for a living, and often recommend to my clients that they change to a better quality food. A couple of months after feeding a food that has a much higher meat content, and no grain or less grains, or even better a raw diet....they are amazed at how much less shedding there is.

Having pets does mean having hair around the house...feeding a better diet means much less hair around the house, and very little "doggie odor" also.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=brunie's mom;848752]

Having pets does mean having hair around the house...feeding a better diet means much less hair around the house, and very little "doggie odor" also.

oh really so what would u reccomend (food)???