Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Working Rottweilers
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Working Rottweilers Therapy, Schutzhund, Agility, Carting, Obedience, Personal Protection, Herding, Flyball, Dock Jumping, if it has to do with Working Topics, lets post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Rottweiler for Service Dog?

Over the next year or so, I will be getting a puppy that I will be owner-training to be a service dog for myself. I had come across and chosen that a Rottweiler would fit me best because of it's strength. But now I am hoping to see if this is true from a community that knows Rottweilers, all part of the process right,look at everything from all angles.

I need a strong dog that won't falter when I am standing and need to grab a harness for balance so I don't fall. She needs to be able to stand there and help me get up, to be able to handle a light weight for when I get tired and need help walking without falling over. The dog needs to be able to handle Arizona heat, be family friendly and dog friendly (which would be training I know), the dog needs to be able to be trained to get objects from upstairs or get a specific person if I need it/them.

Additional information since others have asked me- I, my father, and my mother are all well versed in training dogs for basics and the requirements to achieve the CGC for any dog, we will be finding a reputable trainer who specializes in training dogs in addition to training them for service dog work, I will be finding the breeder before the litter I chose from is even born and make sure the breeder is reputable and knows what I need the dog for, and I have a dependable vet that will also be in the process of helping me raise and achieve a service dog.

Does the Rottweiler sound like a match for these needs?

Old 06-29-2010, 04:50 PM

Re: Rottweiler for Service Dog?

Based on the criteria you have laid out for the service dog that you are needing, the Rottweiler sounds like a perfect match to me.

As you have already stated there will be a lot of training that will need to take place, but I certainly see no reason this breed would not work for you.

I use Harley now to help me get up off of the floor when I'm working on something, I am by no means a small woman at 5'8" 180 Lbs. She has absolutely no problem holding steady while I pull myself up. (Bad Knees)

She has a pretty extensive vocabulary and is more than happy to go fetch specific objects or go get dad for me if I give her the command. This is something that I have worked with her on since a young puppy, she is now 5. For us it's just a game, but obviously has much more meaning for you.

I certainly know my girl is not unusual when it comes to these things, and I know if I were in your situation I would most certainly be seriously considering this breed as my service dog.

I will be interested to see how others feel about this.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Thank you so much for the helpful post, and more so, an ontopic reply! The last forum I tried, only focused on whether or not I could owner-train and not if the breed was compatible for the jobs I needed.

I am concerned about the heat, but with Arizona summers getting to 117 or higher, I don't think any dog is completely made for that weather and assume that as long as she has shade, is kept indoors (which she would be since she would be a service dog so she'd be by my side) than I had hoped that her heat tolerance would be about the same as mine.

I am curious to see what other say as well, and thank you again for the quick, on topic and helpful reply!!

Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 PM

rotts are the sort of dog that love to have a 'job', and want to be involved in everything that you do - i am sure with careful selection and good training (which it sounds like you've done / are doing your homework with) a rott would be an excellent service companion for you :)

best of luck with your new helper, stick around and let us know how you go!

Old 06-29-2010, 05:50 PM

I will defiantly stick around and let you all know how this journey goes!! Right now it's not too exciting since it's polish training the two dogs we have, researching, and money budgeting, but when we move into the next step I will let you all know how my first rottweiler and first service dog journey goes!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:39 PM

The one thing I would caution about is the heat. I'm in Texas and that black coat really soaks up the heat. My girl loves to go with me when running errands and though I would never leave her in the car, I've found that even getting back into the car after it's been sitting for a while is too much for her. I don't like it either, but I'm not wearing a black fur coat over my shorts and T-shirt! :)

Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 PM

Heat will definitely be an issue for a Rottweiler.

Also consider that the public's perception of a Rottie is not always positive. They are big & black & "scary". Will you be able to get past that perception? We have had other people on RDN that had problems with a Rott being accepted as a service dog for this very reason.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:32 PM

Heat would be the big issue, but if you keep her inside in the worst of it, should be ok. Mine are demanding fans right now in addition to AC, but then we run 80%+ humidity here most of the summer. You don't have that problem of humidity.

Other than that, a well bred Rottie will likely do what you want it to do. They love having a job.

Morgen Vom Haus Norton (7-21-09)
Gesta Vom Blaurasen (12-10-05)
~~~
Gheita(Dobe) 83-95
Bear 86-97
Abbey 91-95
Sara 95-03
Jackson 95-99
Kai 94-03
Marshall 00-10
Lambie Pie ?? to 11

Old 06-30-2010, 04:53 AM

Linda- I do know the big dog perception will be a obstacle, my family would often have to deal with it when we would go anywhere with our two 90lb German Shepard's, but I feel that any big dog would end up getting looks and stares, so I should try and get the best dog breed that would be suited for what I need and not worry about the public, just roll with the punches as they come.

As for the heat Linda and Sara (And everyone else haha) is concerned, we do have kiddie pool, I often stay inside in the heat, and have been research ways to help larger dogs deal with the heat. Ironically when we had our two GSD, the one that had a thicker almost husky like coat/double coat and was completely black, loved the outback in all weathers much more than his brother who barely had a single coat!!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Valued Member

I also want to chime in on the heat factor. But with all honesty, I'm thinking "why in the world would you even want to be out in 117 degree weather" if you didn't have to. So dog wouldn't be. And if so, then you both need to be kept hydrated.

Another factor to consider. Rottweilers are slow in maturing. Are you aware of that?

Quote:
Also consider that the public's perception of a Rottie is not always positive. They are big & black & "scary". Will you be able to get past that perception? We have had other people on RDN that had problems with a Rott being accepted as a service dog for this very reason.
You should read this as it might prepare you for the "ignorant" world that is out there.

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/wor...your-help.html

Welcome to RDN! Oh and yes, I think a Rottweiler would make a good service dog. ONLY if you find that COE breeder who can match you up with the right pup.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM

I had discovered when looking up on the breed that they were slower at maturity and have a shorter life span, but I think with patience it would be work it.

As to the thread, it was actually the one of the first threads I read on here, and I am a member of the forum "Dogster", you read a lot about the ignorance on people there when it comes to non-traditional service dogs

I do plan on trying to find the most qualified breeder, I am afraid to say I'm not familiar with COE (googled it and now know it means Code of Ethics) But I'm not sure how to find a COE breeder..any links or tips on that part?

I have been reading that Rottweiler puppies are usually pretty expensive like close to 1,500 or 2grand, is this true?

Last edited by TragicJuliet; 06-30-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Look in the breeding forum, their are many threads there that outline what to look for in a COE breeder. A well bred pup from a COE breeder will most likely cost you over a grand. With this money you get a puppy that has been well socialize and worked with from day one. You also get health checks a few generations back in the pedigree so you will be less likely to end up with problem hips, eyes, or heart. You will also get a health guarantee and a breeder who is always there to answer any questions for the life of the dog. It is money well spent.
I plan on training the pup we are getting to be a service dog to my son, so I obviously think this breed would thrive at it. Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
Dakota's Irish Pixie (Fey) papillon- 3/16/12

Old 06-30-2010, 02:48 PM

I will give the breed section a look at and see what they have on there for COE, and I completely don't mind spending the money if as you said, it's well worth it in the long run! I just want to try and get an accurate budget for the first two years that i'll have the dog to make sure I adequately, prepared.

This site is wonderfully welcoming, informative and is so friendly! I am so glad I found it and will defiantly stick around!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 PM

Many of the dogs that would fill the requirements are either black or hairy.

A Rottie will be fine if kept cool. And they love to work.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:29 AM

You should also check and see how to get your dog recognized as a service dog. Service dogs are allowed to go wherever people go, malls, businesses, taxis, etc.

Maybe call the Lions Club and see what would be required legally so you and your dog are free to go everywhere. This also means that as a puppy, your Rottie should be going into public areas to get used it.